Friday, September 20, 2013

Captivating Authors

Today I decided to go to the library and ran into a couple of my absolute all time favorite authors on the shelves. The two authors are my favorites because they both focus on fiction but they accomplish two very different goals with their writing. The first writer is Eoin Colfer whom you might recognize for being the writer of the Artemis Fowl series which is just filled with plot twists that all seem random and just downright bewildering when somehow the young genius manages to somehow solve any problem thrown his way in a spectacular show. The other author isn't as much of an intellectual thriller for the average pre teen and more a book that you sit down and hope to get a good chuckle  out of. The second writer I happen to be talking about is Terry Pratchett who is known primarily for his book revolving around the disk world where tons of random things seem to be happening in many of these places that not only can you not dispute them due to the fact that they are in a completely seperate universe while still being extremely close to home. Terry Pratchett and Eoin Colfer both focus on the fantasy fiction genre but they both take one piece and then run in completely different directions. While Colfer trys to keep things where they are in modern times but the fictional beings like elves or fairys have access to far greater technology then the humans. Pratchett does the exact opposite and makes everything outlandish while also being believable and funny too boot. If you have the time look them up and see if either would be what you might be looking for in a book because I don't think that anything that I could say right now do them any justice.

I love the thought of going to the library which while it isn't the easiest of a ride it is still an amazingly quiet place with a lot of things to offer including information to entertainment and even a little bit at the same time sometimes. I honestly like going to the library and I believe that I will be going there a little bit more often but then there is the fact that when I went there earlier I noticed a pattern for the books that happen to be made for my age range. I started looking and the pattern was just that almost every book was another Twilight rip off which after hearing what everyone has to say about the series as a whole I don't even want to put time into Twilight let alone a knock off of the series. I don't know how often I will be going but I bet I will be going there a lot more often do to how fast I read through books on my own time.

Today I watched some Frontline as apart of my curriculum and once again it shows yet another shocking truth as this one is about the current regime within Egypt and the transferring between powers where everything has lead to almost the same thing every time. The end results for almost everyone that got power was that they would solidify their control by trying to turn everything into a dictatorship. I was almost in shock from the amount of trouble that the civilians had to go through to fight for their rights and even when people seemed to have won over the current regime some still were fighting against the government for the president to be returned to power even though to everyone else it was obvious he was setting himself up for a very powerful dictatorship. I was absolutely baffled by what I had seen and if you have the time why don't you have a quick look as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment