Friday, February 1, 2013

Home Work Friday

Today we were not able to go to our destination so instead Kristi came up with a backup plan. This consisted of ordering pizza and watching an educational movie. The movie was known as Food inc. and it was great. It showed how little I actually knew about where my food was coming from and how high the risks really are. Even scarier is how much is truly owned by a select few factories who don't want the world to know what is truly going on. For example a good chunk of chicken based products is owned by Tyson. People have been sued and lost tons of money of disclose the truth behind how they treat there chickens.

I know that many of you would like to know where I would've gone today if we were allowed to but I thought it would better not to tell people until I have been there myself. I thought that it would be pretty interesting to leave everyone wondering where I will be going. I don't know much of what I will be doing when I get there but I do know that I am extremely lucky to even be allowed inside this place.

Food inc has gotten me thinking on how powerful is incentive truly. No one part of government is immune to the magnetic pull of money and its many benefits. The incentive for Tyson keeping there operations secret is that they get to produce cheap and large amounts of chicken and rake in tons of money at the expense of the people who have no idea what they are eating. Incentive is a powerful force and no one denies this but to see the world crumble around us due to the power of incentive is truly eye opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment