Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Review time!

Usually I would send this stuff directly to Kristi and the people that read my blog would never see any of this but I thought why not. Kristi will read this all anyways when she gets around to it. Because of this I have decided to post my Review of my collection of Charles Dickens collection. I will say that all of these opinions are subject to change because despite finishing the books I feel like I am not done with this collection due to the time to soak up some of the material of the books in the later parts. Also since I have finished most of my other books this seemed like the perfect chance for one of my rare book reviews. I will also say that the collection that I have was worth every penny I spent since it was fairly cheap and good quality everything.

Charles Dickens Review
With the finishing of my collection of Charles Dickens it is time to give some of my opinions on the entire book. To start off lets go over which one of the book was my favorite. I don't want to rely on tradition for this but due to how much I have heard and loved the story A Christmas Carol certainly wins right there. The main reason for this is because from a young age I have heard the story many times and loved to here it. The story of a greedy man becoming the nicest man ever after suffering through the wrong deeds that he has done. Notice how I did that without mentioning the fact that it was Christmas based? Well thats because this goes for all of us out there and no matter the season we learn from our mistakes in the past, and we make the right choices in the present to make the Future a better place.

While my favorite book was A Christmas Carol it certainly does not have my favorite character. Oliver Twist takes the lead here and for its own special reasons. I love the small orphan primarily because Oliver's life in the beginning was based on the writers actual life and while later in the book wasn't near what he lived there was still many references to his childhood. Along with all of them including Dickens first friend inspired the name of Mr. Fagin the main villain in the book which there is still no explanation for this at this point in time but it is always fairly interesting to think about. I enjoyed seeing Oliver as he starts out as an orphan from off the street and you see how terrible his life happens to be. This sounds horrible but this is how life used to be like back in those times for a person in his predicament. While Dickens makes character that people love young Oliver just spoke to me the most.

How is Dicken's books still relevant to today? This is actually quite simple because while most of his books were fiction that does not mean that each one doesn't have a useful story to tell. The moral of a story never changes and a moral's usefulness comes from how much you would need the advice that it gives you and if you can spot the advice. For the most part even if the books are old they teach the same lessons that they did a couple years ago and since many books do not even attempt to do something like this anymore it makes books like Oliver Twist that much more valuable. This is why there are classic books because a classic book will teach you a lesson no matter the mood, setting, characters, or plot.

Final question is How has reading Dickens influenced your own belief about life choices? Well this one isn't exactly simple but I think I can do this one. First off life choices are important no matter what you do but these books show you how one decision can take you to very different places then someone else. Lets look at two characters from Oliver Twist. One is Oliver himself and the other is the thief Dodger. Dodger decided to stay as a thief despite being able to run away and make a living for himself. We don't know his exact fate but he doesn't get that much said about him after being a thief. Oliver on the other hand decided that he didn't want to remain in this occupation and ran away. Because of him running off he managed to have the entire crime den destroyed without intending for this to happen. No matter what you may think Oliver may have done the right thing but he destroyed a few lives on the way there. Even if this isn't voluntary he still affected someone else without meaning too. Dodger on the other hand seemed to lack any impact on the other hand even if it did mean running away from the life that he knew. The point is that no matter your choice you can help or hinder others without even realizing it. Dodger lost his “family” due to Oliver's choices.

This wraps things up so I hope that you have enjoyed my opinion on some of these topics that coralate with my recently finished Charles Dickens collection. Thank you everyone for giving your time to read this far and have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment