Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Circle of Time

Over time I get a new book upon finishing one book. This time after finishing the Trouble with Boys I got a new book called battle hymn of the Tiger Mother. This one is about what makes the Chinese kids so successful when it comes down to how smart they are. Well what I found out is that it is because of how strict the moms are and just to show that my mom is nothing in comparison to the Chinese moms who would of instead of demanding 1 hour of work on studying for a Chinese mom they would usually want at least 3 hours of studying. I believe that this book only heightens my knowledge of how lucky I am to have my family and how the world works around me.

Today is my dads birthday as I mentioned yesterday and I have nothing for him except the ability to help around the house and my hard work in school. There is of course the fact that I have accumulated $90 with all of the work that I have done recently but I think it would be lazy to hand someone money and tell him to go ahead and buy himself something. Besides he didn't request anything for his birthday from us neither did he drop any hints that I have heard from him so for the most part I think I'm safe.

The book Nurture Shock has given me a good look back at some of the predicaments that I have been in before. For example it talks about the flawed gifted programs in school and how they are testing kids in Kindergarten to see if they are gifted and then about 3/4ths of the kids end up being normal or even basic. Then this reminds me because I was tested several times and rejected to join the gifted program because it was full and I was put on the waiting list which is a great way of saying you are smart enough but we aren't letting you in.

No comments:

Post a Comment