Sunday, March 2, 2014

Writing to Victory

Unlike what I had previously thought last blog entry I managed to actually get into the school newspaper! I know that this is rather abrupt but it was kinda the same thing for me. I did not expect to actually get into the newspaper at all due to the fact that they were late with delivering the news by at least a week. Either way I don't care because now when May rolls around I will be able to start participating in Newspaper!

You might be wondering why that first paragraph is cut so short and I do have an answer for that. The reason for all of this is because  I am mainly happy with my success with writing a poem. This poem is about Fahrenheit 451 and if you haven't read this book it is one that I recommend and most of this poem will not make sense if you haven't read the book since I don't ever directly say anyone's name or event. This poem makes me extremely proud as it brings back memories of crying on the floor with the parents trying desperately to create a poem for class. I did manage to after a lot of help. Still this is absolutely awesome for me so I hope you enjoy. ( I'm also posting my artist statement first )

I’m Galen Seaton and I have chosen to write a poem for people to read. I wrote this poem as an allusion to Ray Bradbury’s poetic form of writing. I attempted to cover large parts of the story using this poem. For example the meeting with Clarisse is very important, but so is the introduction of characters like Beatty or Mildred. You cannot have one person dominating a story and still encompass the plot thoroughly. I plan to primarily cover the symbolism and poetic nature of this book including the metaphors of dark and light; also the fountains of knowledge known as books.


I write this as a pem because I feel that very little else can show how beautiful this book is. Even in a society who reject books from their daily lives there is still people who keep their books safe and cherish the authors abilities. While many people have the talent for hidden meanings, metaphors, symbolism, and many other things the average person who lack such talent can experience a raw form of poetry. People today can see thse books and telents as a n unrefined diamond instead of a chunk of caol. Fahrenheit 451 leads a world where people struggle and strive to see coal instead of the potential for diamond.


Candles in the Dark
A tribute to Fahrenheit 451



Candles in Trillions lie dormant to eye.
Trillions of people watch and let die.
few candles can light on bright sunny day
Let alone burn in any small way


Some candles lack wicks to let fire burn
When one does light many stumps turn.
They gawk, they stare, they scream at the sight
To see someones small head come alight.


One man does slumber as he puts out the minds
Joy in his life as he runs around blind
He wanders to close to glorious light
Soon his mind starts to wander over moon and of night.


The world opens up while others close him out.
Ones he holds dear turn towards him as if to shout
“What does one such as you hold dear?”
He might turn and respond
“A life in which I can truly adhere.”


Another candle lay lit but now been let down
He joins the ranks of those whose mind not run abound
No one shall feel the pain that he has seen in his life.
He protects those from knowledge; his thoughts like a knife


Back to the man who lies no longer dormant
Where he lies not asleep of his bed in bitter torment.
He closes his eyes to seek one of a solution
He feels the world is in true need of revolution


A shard of light shines through the bleak darkness.
A flicker of light who lies close to his carcass
A man with the chance to see the world hang
a man who didn’t quite go out with a bang


This man did stand up for the lives of the many
his chance had been lost.
with no such gain not even a penny.
He stands his ground with the man doused in light.
To fight the man in the dark; the enforcer of blight.


Together they stand, together they fall
The enforcer is gone, destroyed in the brawl.
Men with lit wicks stand together in tatters
to recreate the lives in which the mind still matters.



I hope that you enjoyed my little show of skill on my blog. I certainly had a lot of fun writing it and it helped me get another A in my English class so all wins all around.



No comments:

Post a Comment